About the program
Guided by our team of experienced and dedicated staff, small groups of up to 15 participants will learn the daily routines and responsibilities of a Taronga Keeper. Through a range of interactive husbandry activities and special behind the scenes visits, Junior Keeper participants will have up close encounters with some of Taronga’s Australian Native animals and learn how to care for and protect them into the future.
What to expect
- Meet and greet with our Zoo Keepers and Educators
- Participate in daily husbandry activities including various animal feeds
- Developing and providing animal enrichment items
- Animal encounters
- Behind-the-scene access to Taronga Zoo
$170 per child: includes Zoo entry for child program, program t-shirt, completion certificate plus one (1) adult zoo admission on the date of child participating in the program
What to bring
We will provide participants with their own t-shirt but they will need to bring a packed lunch and refillable water bottle for the day.
You will also need to ensure that your Junior Keeper has clothes that you won't mind them getting dirty, closed toe shoes and weather appropriate items e.g. hat, sunglasses, rain jacket etc.
To capture the experience throughout the day, we encourage program participants to bring their own camera or photo device.
Bookings are open.
|15 people maximum per booking NOTE: availability updated Monday to Friday|
|Saturday 9 December 2023||2 spaces available|
|Thursday 14 December 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 16 December 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Thursday 21 December 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 23 December 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 30 December 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Thursday 4 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 6 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Tuesday 9 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 13 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Tuesday 16 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Thursday 18 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 20 January 2024||Available|
|Thursday 25 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Tuesday 30 January 2024||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 3 February 2024||Available|
|Saturday 10 February 2024||Available|
|Saturday 24 February 2024||Available|
|Saturday 2 March 2024||Available|
|Saturday 9 March 2024||Available|
|Saturday 23 March 2024||Available|
|Saturday 30 March 2024||Available|
Please ensure you read and understand the conditions prior to booking. For more information please email email@example.com.
The Junior Keepers Program:
- Requires a moderate level of fitness and good mobility
- Is for children aged between 8 to 11 years of age
- Taronga staff and volunteers are COVID-19 vaccinated however Junior Keepers will be interacting with unvaccinated children and guests throughout the day.
- Is an all-weather experience and will ordinarily proceed in the event of inclement weather
- May include entering an environment housing animals which involves a degree of unpredictability and therefore risk of injury occurring
- Is at my own risk and without any liability attached to the Taronga Conservation Society Australia, including any injury to the child/children or damage to their property
- Requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts regarding photographs and video taken on any device, and understand that some photos may be restricted from social media platforms
- Requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts to comply with Taronga’s COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Children participants complete the program without their parents and/or guardians accompanying. The program cost includes one (1) adult general admission for parents and/or guardians to enjoy their zoo at their own leisure on the date of the program.
- Must not be attended by a child/children if they feel unwell or have flu like symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, sore/scratchy throat, shortness of breath) and acknowledge that they will be excluded from the program and Taronga Zoo if they attend when unwell or with flu like symptoms
- Bookings are non-refundable but can be rescheduled or transferred in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of Taronga
- Program activities and schedules are subject to change without notice
- Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Junior Keepers Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely event that this situation occurs, Taronga will contact me as soon as practicable to notify me and reschedule my booking
- Taronga cannot guarantee a nut-free environment (please contact us for further information)
- If the program participant has a known allergy that causes an anaphylactic reaction upon exposure to that allergen, that participant must disclose this information to Taronga prior to participation on the Keeper for a Day program. The participant is required to supply and carry an EpiPen throughout the duration of the program. A medical action plan also needs to be provided to ensure Taronga staff are provided with clear instructions in response management.
Note: One (1) adult zoo admission can only be redeemed on the date the child is participating on the Junior Keepers program. This cannot be redeemed before or after this date.