About the program
This program will take you to places not seen by the general public and show you a whole new side to Taronga. As part of a small group of up to 6 people, you will be assigned to one of our experienced senior keepers, who will be your host for the day. Participants will get to go behind the scenes to meet the animals and be involved in tasks such as devising enrichment activities, food preparation and more*.
Each day is different; you never know what you'll end up doing!
Time: 8.15am - 3.15pm
Meeting point: Meet your Keeper at 8.15 am at the back of the Institute of Science and Learning.
*To keep the Wildlife in our care safe participants are required to be COVID-19 vaccinated.
- $370 - per adult
- $296 - per adult for Zoo Friends annual members
What to bring
Keeper for a Day includes morning tea and your own 'Keeper for a Day' t-shirt. Lunch and afternoon tea is not supplied. Food can be purchased on the day but it is strongly recommended that guests bring their lunch to avoid lunchtime crowds. Appropriate food storage and refrigeration is provided.
Keeper for a Day participants should bring:
- Comfortable clothing suitable for wearing outdoors, which may get dirty
- Protective, closed footwear
- Face Mask (this may be required for Animal Experiences)
- Refillable water bottle
- Weather appropriate clothing (rain jacket, hat, sunglasses etc.)
Keeper for a Day is an all-weather experience so please come prepared for any inclement weather. Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Keeper for a Day Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely chance that this situation should occur, Taronga will contact you prior to your participation date.
|6 people maximum per booking (NOTE: Availability is updated Monday to Friday)|
|Wednesday 29 March 2023||1 space available|
|Wednesday 5 April 2023||1 space available|
|Wednesday 12 April 2023||2 spaces available|
|Saturday 15 April 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Wednesday 19 April 2023||1 space available|
|Wednesday 26 April 2023||Available|
|Saturday 29 April 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Wednesday 3 May 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Saturday 6 May 2023||2 spaces available|
|Wednesday 10 May 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 17 May 2023||4 spaces available|
|Saturday 20 May 2023||FULLY BOOKED|
|Wednesday 24 May 2023||Available|
|Saturday 27 May 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 31 May 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 7 June 2023||Available|
|Saturday 10 June 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 14 June 2023||Available|
|Saturday 17 June 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 21 June 2023||Available|
|Wednesday 28 June 2023||Available|
Please ensure to read the full conditions before making your booking.
I understand, agree and accept that in participating in the Keeper For a Day Program I comply with the following:
- The Keeper for a Day program requires a moderate level of fitness and good mobility
- The Keeper for a Day program is an all-weather experience and will ordinarily proceed in the event of inclement weather
- I may be entering an environment housing animals which involves a degree of unpredictability and therefore risk of serious injury occurring
- my participation is at my own risk and without any liability attached to the Taronga Conservation Society Australia, including any injury to my person or damage to my property
- I will take direction from my Keeper Host regarding photographs and video taken on any device, and understand that some photos may be restricted from social media platforms
- I will take direction from my Keeper Host to comply with Taronga’s COVID-19 Safety Plan
- I will not attend my scheduled program if I feel unwell or have flu like symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, sore/scratchy throat, shortness of breath) and acknowledge that I will be excluded from the program and Taronga Zoo if I attend when unwell or with flu like symptoms
- Bookings are non-refundable but can be rescheduled or transferred in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of Taronga
- Program activities and schedules are subject to change without notice
- Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Keeper for a Day Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely event that this situation occurs, Taronga will contact me as soon as practicable to notify me and reschedule my booking;
- Taronga cannot guarantee a nut-free environment (please contact us for further information)
- To redeem the Zoo Friends Keeper For a Day Discount, I must be a current Zoo Friend. This offer is non-transferrable. My membership number will be verified in the application process and if my membership does not exist or is expired, I will be charged the full price of $370 per person
- Gift Vouchers expire within 3 years of the issue date. Both the receipt Number and recipient name need to be provided to redeem the voucher
- If the program participant has a known allergy that causes an anaphylactic reaction upon exposure to that allergen, that participant must disclose this information to Taronga prior to participation on the Keeper for a Day program. The participant is required to carry their own EpiPen throughout the duration of the program and must feel confident administering that medical when required. Taronga staff are not permitted to administer that medication on behalf of the participant, they are only able to assist in this situation.